Belly fat is the most stubborn fat in our body. Once it accumulates in your body, it is very difficult to get rid of this. Not all belly fats are the same. Before we tell you these steps, first you have to know what type of fat is in your belly area. It is very easy. Here are some types of belly fat: cortisol belly (stress), belly fat due to any medical condition (thyroid, diabetes, etc), mummy belly (after delivery), bloated belly, belly due to poor lifestyle and eating, alcohol belly.
Improve your eating habits
- Avoid packaged and ready to eat food.
- Eat more fibre rich foods.
- Eat more protein.
- Start with 0.75 gram/kg of your body weight and increase gradually according to your activity level.
- Eat less processed foods.
- Eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Include natural probiotics into your diet like yoghurt, buttermilk and pickles etc.Also if you want to control your diet and take a proper meal, then you can check our work on how to make a healthy plate.
Stick to a routine
- Have a set routine for eating and avoid grazing all the time.
- Eat in small portions.
- Snacks should not be more than your fist size.
- Eat nuts, seeds and fruits for a snack.
- Eat natural sugar in moderation.
- Avoid energy drinks and limit your alcohol consumption.
Eat foods that increase your metabolism
- Grains- Oats, barley, quinoa
- Veggies- all green and red
- Fruits- 2 to 4 in a day
- Lentils- all types
- Beans and legumes
- Nuts- almonds and walnuts in moderation
- Seeds- chia, flax, pumpkin seeds
- Spices and herbal teas
- Drink enough water and stay hydrated.
- Non-vegetarians take good quality lean protein like fish and chicken breast.
Try intermittent fasting
Set a routine of intermittent fasting. For males, 16/8 hour fasting is effective and females can start with 14/10 method. If you want to know more about it, you can read our blog on intermittent fasting. Some benefits of intermittent fasting are as follow:
- Help boost metabolism
- Increase the level of HGH (Human Growth Hormone)
- Increase the fat burning process. Reduces insulin resistance
When we do exercise to reduce our belly, we mainly focus on crunches. But it’s wrong. Spot reduction is not possible and doing an endless amount of belly exercise like crunches will not help you to achieve a flat belly goal. You must focus on resistance training. Do a mix of cardio and strength training. Keep changing your exercise routine, do not stick to the same exercise pattern for a long time. You can change your routine by joining dance classes, Zumba, doing CrossFit and functional training. And if possible, do exercise on an empty stomach. When we do workout on an empty stomach, our body uses stored fat as fuel.
Do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training ), it gives you good result in less time. It boosts your stamina and metabolism and enhances the fat burning process. It can be done anywhere and no equipment required. It burns more calories in resting periods as compared to other exercises.
Lower your stress level
Cortisol hormone (also known as stress hormone) is also a biggest cause of belly fat these days due to our busy lifestyle. So if we manage our stress or cortisol level, it can be beneficial for our belly. Stress can be of any type i.e. physical, mental, emotional, environmental or social. To lower your stress level, simply follow these steps:
- Meditate daily
- Laugh more and try to be happy
- Make healthy relationships
- Follow a healthy diet
- Pursue a hobby like dancing, painting, gardening etc
- Take a break from work, go on holidays and be mindful
- Listen to your favourite music
Get enough sleep
Another big cause of belly fat is not taking proper sleep. Here are some tips to get good sleep:
- Do deep breathing before going to bed
- Keep your bedroom quite
- Your clothes, mattress, pillow etc, all should be comfortable.
- Don’t eat and drink anything just before going to bed.
- Reduce caffeine intake.
Correct your body posture
If you have a poor body posture, it can leave you with the appearance of a pot belly. Correct your posture while standing, walking, sitting, exercising and sleeping. To correct your posture, try to tighten your core for a few days.
Constantly follow these steps. be consistent. convert these steps into your daily habits.